Monday 12 November 2012

Font Mood Board and Analysis

The masthead of a magazine essentially becomes that magazine’s logo; this makes it an incredibly important part of the magazine’s design as, judging by other magazines, it stays the same throughout every issue. I experimented with some fonts that I found online. I felt that using a font found online would be interesting as it’s less likely for another magazine to have it whereas if I was to use fonts already installed onto a computer, the probability that another company had used it is higher. The magazine I am going to make will be one of a similar style to NME therefore I looked for fonts that implied sophistication and / or intensity towards music. This is why I chose some bold / simplistic fonts however; I also added some handwriting and sketchy styles as it makes the magazine look arty or genuine; as though it’s actually coming straight from the artists / editors with the handwritten fonts. This would interest and attract any “hard-core”, dedicated music fans as they see music as a form of art and expression, therefore a handwritten font fits well. I need to be careful to not pick a font that looks childish however. An alternative option could be a Serif font. Serif fonts have flicks on them and therefore I feel this would add sophistication to the magazine. Using a Sans Serif font could make the magazine appear more manly, and loud-natured when really, the appearance I am going for is dedicated, sophisticated and knowledgeable when it comes to music. I am going to try and avoid making my magazine look as though it is genre specific as this will interest a wider, more varied audience which in-turn means, the design isn’t limited.

No comments:

Post a Comment