Sunday 3 February 2013

Questionnaire Results Analysis

"What is your gender?"
Female
80.0%16
Male
20.0%4
These results show that the majority of the people who answered my questionnaire are female. This is a bit concerning considering I was planning on making a magazine based more around the male population than the female. However, my magazine will be for both genders so parts of the upcoming results can be useful.


"How old are you?"
Less than 160.0%0
16 - 21
85.0%17
22 - 27
10.0%2
28 - 330.0%0
34 - 390.0%0
40+
5.0%1
Despite the large amount of female responses, my questionnaire targeted the right aged audience. I hoped to create a magazine for people around the age bracket of 17 - 21 and seeing as 85% of my responses were from people in this age range (with the exception of the 16 year olds among them) I feel my results will help me in creating a magazine suitable for these people.


"How often do you buy a magazine?"
Weekly
5.0%1
Fortnightly
5.0%1
Monthly
10.0%2
Yearly0.0%0
Whenever I feel like it
50.0%10
Never
30.0%6
Other (please specify)0
These results show that only 5% of people by magazines as often as my one will be published. The majority of the population purchase magazines "whenever they feel like it" which means my later questions of appearance and contents will come in a lot more useful as I will need them to help me make a magazine that people 'feel' like buying.


"How much are you willing to pay for a magazine?"
Less than £10.0%0
£1.00 - £1.99
40.0%8
£2.00 - £2.99
45.0%9
£3.00 - £3.99
15.0%3
£4.00+0.0%0
Seeing as 45% of people are willing to spend £2.00 - £2.99 on a magazine, I felt this would be an appropriate price range for my magazine. Considering 40% would pay £1.00 - £1.99, if i was to cater for my audience really well by taking into consideration their responses on content etc, the price may not be as much of an issue and the people that responded with a price lower that £2.00 won't mind.


"What makes you buy a magazine? E.g: boredom, entertainment, the need for knowledge / gossip etc.."
The most common answers given in response to this question were entertainment and knowledge, which were said 6 times, and gossip which was mentioned 7 times. This suggests that the magazine I am creating needs to be up to date with the celebrity / musical world to supply its audience with both the facts and gossip that they want. 5 people said that they buy a magazine due to boredom. This means that I need to make my magazine front cover look as interesting as possible and that I need to include various different articles and features that other magazines won't have to ensure that my magazine is the one people buy when they are bored.


"What is your preferred music genre?"
Classical0.0%0
Indie
84.2%16
Pop
36.8%7
Rock
26.3%5
Metal
5.3%1
Punk Rock / Pop
15.8%3
Alternative
36.8%7
R'n'B
21.1%4
Hip Hop
10.5%2
Reggae
10.5%2
Country and Western
5.3%1
Urban
5.3%1
Jazz
10.5%2
Blues0.0%0
Dance
10.5%2
Swing
10.5%2
Rap
10.5%2
Dubstep
5.3%1
Electronic0.0%0
Acoustic
47.4%9
These results show that the majority of people prefer Indie music thus making it the most popular style of music to have in a magazine. Almost half of the people like acoustic music as well and these two genres of music seem to go quite well together. Given the fact that I was planning on making a magazine similar to NME I would need to include both indie and acoustic music, but also some (punk) rock and alternative. This gives the magazine a wide variety of genres to cover thus giving the magazine a wider audience.


"What would you most like to see in a music magazine? E.g: posters, interviews, quizzes, reviews etc.."
In the responses to this question, 'interviews' were the most common answer as it had been suggested 12 times. 'Posters' were the next most popular answer then followed by 'reviews'. To enable sales for my magazine I will need to combine these features to make them suit the genre of my magazine, however making posters a regular thing could wear the novelty factor of them off. In this case I will only include them every so often so they are more of a feature than a regular.


"What is more important to you in a magazine?"
Images of live events
5.0%1
Fashion-based images
55.0%11
Text
20.0%4
Gifts / Freebies
10.0%2
Dates and events
10.0%2
Over half of the responses to this question say they find fashion-based images more important than live images, text and other features within a magazine. This suggests that my magazine will need to be music and fashion based with photos that have been taken and edited due to a shoot rather than photos that have been taken at live events. Judging by these results it would seem that my magazine would do better by being more image based than fact based however when looking at the reasons why people buy magazines, having 'knowledge' as a popular response suggests otherwise.


"What kind of language would you like to read?"
Formal0.0%0
Informal
85.0%17
Factual0.0%0
Statistical0.0%0
Cynical
5.0%1
Colloquial
10.0%2
These results show that in order for my magazine to have a reliable set of buyers, the language has to be informal to ensure that they enjoy the magazine and will buy again.


"What features of a magazine front cover attract you the most?"
The most common response for this question was pictures. Having a good image or selection of images on the front cover of the magazine attracts an audience and hopefully encourages them to buy it. Having a well-known or liked celebrity / musician / band on the front is also important and was mentioned 5 times in the responses. Other things like colour, text and layout were mentioned and so when coming to design my front cover I need to think carefully about how aesthetically pleasing it is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment